Make your home highly sellable
You must learn to look at your home through the eyes of the buyer.
1) Open the draperies, pull up the shades and let in the sunlight.
2) Create a positive mood. Turn on all lights - day or night. Open the
curtains during the day.
3) Install higher wattage light bulbs to show your home brightly -- in its
best light. Turn on all lights.
4) Remove all clutter from each room to visually enlarge them.
5) Create the illusion of spaciousness.
6) If you have a fireplace, highlight it in your decorating.
7) Keep your home dusted and vacuumed at all times.
8) Have a family emergency 'game plan' to get the home in order quickly if
9) Air out your home one half hour before the showing if possible.
10) Lightly spray the room freshener so that it has a chance to diffuse
and air before the buyer arrives.
11) Create a master 'suite' effect in your decorating.
12) Make sure that beds are made and the linens and curtains are fresh and
13) Organize your closets, remove unnecessary items and put them in
14) Bathrooms should always be kept spotlessly clean.
15) Do not leave towels around and wipe down the shower areas after each
16) Recaulk if the caulking is not sparkling white!
17) Put out fresh towels and decorative soap for showings.
18) Set the scene by setting the table! Highlight the potential of your
dining room by setting a grand dining table!
19) The kitchen should always be kept spotlessly clean.
20) Expand your counter space by removing small appliances.
21) Highlight an eat-in-area in your kitchen with a table set for dinner.
22) Shampoo all carpets and vacuum them daily.
23) If the carpet does not clean up well you should REPLACE IT!
24) Improve traffic flow through every room and create a feeling of
spaciousness in every room by removing unnecessary furniture,
knick-knacks, hobby items, children's items, etc.
25) However, try to avoid creating a 'sterile' look environment.
26) Remove all grease from range hoods, ovens, stovetops, walls, etc.
27) Clean rubbish out of the fireplace and keep it clean in the winter.
28) Highlight the fireplace in your decorating.
29) Remove all unnecessary items from the attic, basement, garage, tool
shed, and especially from the storage area if you have one.
30) Rent a storage area for these items or have a yard sale. You're going
to move anyway -- start now!
31) Straighten, tidy, and remove unnecessary items from all closets. Put
unnecessary items in storage.
32) FIX THE FRONT DOOR BELL!
33) Invest in a new doormat.
34) Make sure the front door, storm door, screen door, etc. work
35) Create the feeling of a spacious entry area by using decorating
accents, mirrors, rugs, etc. and by removing all unnecessary clutter.
36) Regardless of the season, tackle spring-cleaning. Clean everything in
your home from top to bottom! -- from attic to basement!
37) Wash all windows - inside and out!
38) Curtains should be fresh, clean and attractive.
39) Clean all light bulbs, light fixtures and chandeliers to brighten the
40) Remove all smoke odors, pet odors, and odors resulting from hobbies.
41) Straighten, tidy, and remove unnecessary items from all closets.
Create the feeling of spacious closets. Put all unnecessary items in
storage or invest in under-the-bed storage boxes.
42) Remove posters and adhesive from walls and doors and putty any holes
resulting from nails or other mishaps.
43) Depersonalize teenager's rooms and decorate in a neutral temperament.
44) Clean or paint the basement walls and floor.
45) Paint all inside walls with off-white paint. Use two or more coats to
cover bold, bright or dark walls.
46) All walls should be painted, not just washed. This will brighten the
home and make it look bigger.
47) Repair or replace all doors, closet doors, and/or windows and screens
so that they open with ease.
48) Repair or replace banisters and handrails.
49) Repair or replace broken tiles on walls, floors or in showers/tubs.
50) Repair or replace loose or dangling wallpaper.
51) If the basement shows any signs of water or structural damage, it may
be necessary to obtain a structural engineer's report.
52) Replace all toilet bowls if you cannot get them spotlessly clean.
53) Replace shower curtains and keep them clean.
54) Replace the washers in faucets and remove rust stains from basins.
55) Water and prune all plants.
56) Use plants in transitional areas of your home between inside and out.
57) Either get rid of dying plants or keep them out of sight.
58) Remove any excess extension cords and exposed wires.
59) Open doors to areas you want the potential buyer to see such as
walk-in-closets, pantries, attic, basement, etc.
60) Close all other closet doors and cabinets.
61) Make the most of your attics potential.
62) Make the attic as pleasant as possible by airing it out, and
decorating if possible.
63) Add visual appeal to stairways - especially in unfinished stairways to
64) Keep the yard mowed, raked, fertilized and watered at all times!
65) Remove all toys, bicycles, tools, unsightly patio furniture, trash,
etc. from the yard.
66) Trees and shrubs should be pruned and trimmed.
67) Lawns and gardens should be weeded at all times.
68) Use flowering plants to dress u the yard, walkways, and patio.
69) All hoses and garden equipment should be neatly out of sight.
70) Outdoor furniture should be kept clean and/or repainted if necessary.
71) Firewood should be neatly stacked or out of sight.
72) Mailboxes should be evaluated with a critical eye.
73) Paint and repair the mailbox or replace it if necessary.
74) Make all those minor repairs to the exterior.
75) Porches, steps, verandas, balconies, patios and other extensions of
the house should be kept uncluttered, swept and in good condition.
76) Paint all entrance doors.
77) Shades and awnings should be in good condition. Replace if the color
has faded. Remove windsocks.
78) Create an outside living/dining area with furniture and plants.
79) Keep trash cans deodorized, covered and out of sight.
80) Highlight your pool area, water garden, etc. with lighting, benches,
planters, flowering plants, etc.
81) Take night time photos of decorative yard lighting systems.
82) Take pictures of your flowering mature landscaping now if you are
planning to sell your home later in the season.
83) Display these photos in your home in the wintertime.
84) Clean and shine all accessories (door knobs, knockers, lamps, mail
boxes, address numbers, etc.)
85) Clean, repair and paint all gutters and downspouts.
86) All roof shingles, tiles, etc. should be secured or replaced. If the
roof leaks - FIX IT!
87) Make sure the garage door opens easily. Fix and paint the garage door
88) Paint chimney and replace broken bricks or stones.
89) An investment in painting your home can really make the difference
between 'turning on' the buyer and sending up a red flag about the
condition of the home.
Some final things you can do to help your home sell quickly!
90) Arrive at an equitable asking price using an appraisal.
91) Don't be afraid to accept the first offer.
92) Never volunteer information!
93) Obtain a floor plan of your home if possible.
94) Assemble house records for buyer perusal.
95) Provide a map of the area and highlight special interest items.
96) Only consider written offers by leader-prequalified buyers.
97) Enlist the service of a professional marketing agent such as
The Englishes to market your home in trade magazines, newspapers,
sign brochures, Internet sites, Virtual Tour, Talking House.
Claude THOMAS, Realtor©
DirectBuy carries nearly everything you need to decorate your home at wholesale pricing.